Wednesday 10 February 2010

Notre Dame de Bellecombe 10/02/10



As a rest day from riding Damien and Greg kindly took me to experience some “proper” ice climbing; two WI6’s on virgin ice! It snowed all day but this didn’t detract from the impressive lines (barring the swim up to the routes.) Damo led up the first route which consisted of a steep pillar to a snow bay, followed by a longer section up to a tree belay. We abbed back down and Greg headed up a line on the right between two pillars to the same ledge and then took a line right of Damien’s to the same tree belay. I found both routes sustained and hard; very pumpy and difficult to get my weight onto my feet, my technique evaporates when I get pumped but practice makes perfect and it was good fun to climb some steep ice. After abbing back to the bags and digging them out we headed back to the apartment for some more fresh bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment